Energy Efficiency Tax Incentives
Congress has extended the Energy Efficiency Tax Incentives for metal roofs completed in 2017. The tax credit covers 10% of the cost of materials installed, up to a maximum of $500 per home. Metal roof panels must be installed on your existing home and it must be your principal residence. New construction and rentals do not qualify.
For homeowners to receive the tax credit, they must take the following steps:
- Confirm that the metal roof they selected is a prepainted or coated ENERGY STAR® labeled metal roof with pigmented coating/paint film specifically designed to reduce heat gain, and obtain a Tax Credit Certificate from your contractor or the roof panel manufacturer.
- Have the metal roof installed on their principal residence between January 1, 2012 and December 31, 2017, which meet ENERGY STAR® guidelines. For further information on the requirements for tax credit eligibility, homeowners can go here and/or consult with their tax advisor.
- Fill out IRS Form 5695 Residential Energy Credits when filing their taxes for 2012 and/or 2013. Download the form here.
Additional information can be found on www.energystar.gov.
Manufacturer Tax Credit Certificates
For a complete list of ENERGY STAR® listed colors, download above Certificates, or see our color guides
- Not all colors are stocked at all Metal Sales branch locations.
- Acrylic Coated Galvalume and Galvanized Panels are not eligible for the Residential Tax Credit. Click Here for an explanation.